Monday, August 10, 2009

I ain't too proud...

...to dumpster dive!!! Oh, baby, baby...

Rhoda's Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality, once again. It's so fun to see what great deals people have gotten, go check them out! (You'll get good ideas, too!)

Me, my sister, my mom, my mom's best friend, and my aunt (and my sweet little man) all went to yard sales on Saturday together. We pretty much made a spectacle of ourselves, but that's pretty normal when you get me, my mom, and my sister together. While looking for our next victim...er....yard sale find, we drove past a neighborhood having their scheduled road-side pick up. My sister was talking to me about something (I can't even remember) and then I saw it.

Like a light pouring from the heavens to highlight it...

I screamed "STOOOOOOOP!!!" It must have jolted her because it took her too long to respond. Long enough that I said "STOOOOOOOOOOOOP!" again before the brakes were hit and I practically fell myself out of the car. By this time, we were both busting up laughing and had caught the attention of the yard saler's across the street. What can I say? I had just found my new telephone/this-is-where-I'm-gonna-hide-that-ugly-phonebook table. Here's my FREE treasure of the weekend:

And it's black. Always bet on black. It was calling to me, I promise you. It said, "Free me from this pile of trash! I want to go to your house and get a fresh coat of paint and these four...yes, FOUR nasty spiders away from me!" Eeeewwww...creepy!!! I think it also cried out for a black and white harlequin drawer and table top, but I'm still interpretting.

I also found a chalkboard with a butterfly design for my daughter's room. Because, you know....you can't have too many chalkboards! I think it was $3. Duh, right?

Then, I found this wreath (it's on the luh-arge side) for $2. "Hello, front door. This is your new friend as soon as Ms. Manners tells me it's not okay to wear white shoes anymore.":
And the steal of my whole life (alright, so that's not true, but I'm a dramatic person so work with me here, peeps) are these lamp bases. You might have to enlarge the picture to truly appreciate them. I was minding my own business, going through Lowe's one day...and I saw these babies (I say "babies" 'cause I got two! Oh yes, I did!). They were originally $44!!! Seriously! Marked down to $24.
Oh, and then marked down AGAIN to $4.97.
$4.97!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you waiving your white hankie and buggin' your eyes out, yet people? 'Cause you really, really should be!

I love the toile lamp shades I found (2 for $3) at another yard sale, but they won't go with my black and white bedding (that doesn't shock you, does it? Found it at Walmart for $50.00! I know! My bedroom is a whole other post, girlies!). Anyway...back to the lampshades. They won't go because they are cream and black and I have deep-rooted issues about that kind of stuff. I really love the toile, though, so I'm on the look-out for black toile with a true white background.

Oh, I also found a silver platter and a Christmas tree hand soap dispenser for the kiddos room when it's that time. It was only a quarter! Was I supposed to pass that up???

I also found something else...but I'm waitin' to show that until I have done to it what I'm a wantin' to do! It was a steal, too and I l.o.v.e. it.

10 comments:

  1. Very nice find!!! (I love those trash piles by the way. I have three bookcases because of them!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to venture to say...you had the finds of the day! Oh I rhymed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa - you cleaned house this week!! LOVIN' your finds, especially the free black stand. Gotta love free stuff! Will it take much work to get it ready? What do you plan to do with it? Thanks for stopping by my site too - always super fun to see new faces/blogs I can stalk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, love your finds - WONDERFUL! I feel like I know you - my daughter-in-law's name is Kari (I know, unusual spelling) and they have 4 children (our precious grandies) under 5 (one just turned 5 in July!). They are: a 5yr old, 3 1/2 yr. old twins, and an 19 month old. Whew! I feel your fatigue! Love your blog. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds.....and I think it's great that you make your yard sales and dumpster diving a family affair. I visited my two sisters in Dallas a couple of weekends ago and made them go to some thrift stores - lets's just say they don't have the same junkin' spirit that I do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finds. I especially appreciated your Humphrey Bogart style Post. And the project that came of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, you crack me up and inspire me at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the congrats! Great finds! I have been known to dumpster dive a time or two myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those yard sales! We decorate our house and get all of our kids stuff from yard sales. I wish I could go more often, but my hubby loves to go so he usually goes early Sat. mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by and commenting :) I love the fact you called it classy!! Yea!
    I love all your finds, especially the lamps.

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment? I {heart} you. No, really. I do.