Thursday, November 5, 2009

TWOC: Homemade Christmas Gifts (2 for 1)

Twelve Weeks of Christmas
DIY Day @ ASPTL

I love these. L.O.V.E. these.

They make great gifts and aren't just limited to hanging on trees. Doors, mirrors, windows, mantels....garland....I have plans for these, my darlings....yes...I do...

First, cut out two pieces of fabric in the letter you want. (Obviously, the longer the word, the more letters you cut out).


Sew it together (right sides out) and leave holes for stuffing.
Fray check the edges when you're done. Trust me.
Use a laaarge needle and ribbon of your choice to string your letters. Be careful to make sure you are spelling your word or words right. It's a pain to take them out. Trust me.
Fray check those holes, too. Don't ask why, just do it.
And then loop the two ends and make a knot. This way, you have a loop on each side to hang it easier. I add jingle balls so it's a little more festive.

The other craft is more for yourself and less of a gift. Eh. It's a gift to yourself, so it totally counts!

Take three different sized cone shapes that you only buy with a coupon at Joann's.
Make some of these do-dads.
Take these mardi gras necklaces (and cut them) that you found for $2 at Joann's. For twelve. (Insert happy dance here.)
Use your glue gun and start wrapping. And wrapping. And gluing. And wrapping. And sticking with a 'u' pin. And wrapping. Wait. This is starting to remind me of something. Oh yes. This craft.
Until you get this. And run out of beads. Yup. Apparently, I needed a third pack to finish the last cone. Who knew?
The picture just doesn't do them justice. I wasn't sure the silver paint was going to matter, but in person, it definitely does. I'm so glad I have glitter to shine behind those silver beads.

On to my next project....

10 comments:

  1. wow I really like the cone project. that is something i might be able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those letters. Those are adorable. I can see them in a HOHOHO theme, too! Just super cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great crafts! I really like the cones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The letters really catch my eye! The possibilities are endless - my mind is picturing all kinds of things. Thanks for the idea!
    Christmas Blessings,
    Jayne at mysongwithin

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are too funny! Your silver trees turned out very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whohoo! Somebody's in crafting-mode. LOVE both projects-a LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the letters! Not sure I would have the patience to do it myself though! :) I really love your "About Me". I need to focus on that whole idea a bit more. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment? I {heart} you. No, really. I do.